Hoping for the better

[media id=24 width=330 height=245]

With an aim to generate income and improve the livelihood of women in the villages a weaving center at Dorjibi village under Chhoekhor Gewog in Bumthang was inaugurated in August last year. But, our reporter, Pema Lhaden, finds out that till date, the centre has failed to serve its purpose.

Sherab Wangmo, 30, from Dewathang in Samdrup Jongkhar is one of the weavers at the Dorjibi weaving centre. She joined the weaving centre last year to earn some income for her family. But so far, she has not been to earn as desired. Sherab said that she had not been earn even Nu. 1,000.

However, Sherab is optimistic as she is weaving a uniform for the Wangdichholing Lower Secondary school. “I am not sure whether I could generate some income from the school uniform. But I am hoping to earn some income once the uniforms are sold to the school.

Like Sherab, other weavers also shared similar opinion. They have not been able to earn much income. “Since the centre is new, we have not been able to earn much income. But I am optimistic that over the next two years, the centre will run well and we will earn some incomes,” said Sithar Zangmo.

BBS found out that most of the textiles like kiras, tegoes, bed sheets and scarf are lying on the shelves to be sold. The only time that they could sell was during the Jambay lhakhang Drup last year when tourists visited the centre.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube