His Majesty awards Druk Thuksey and National Order of Merit

Dr. Lotay Tshering, Dasho Penjore, and Lyonpo Chenkyab Dorji were awarded the Druk Thuksey

Coinciding with the National Day, His Majesty The King also awarded various National Orders to individuals in recognition of their services to the Tsa-Wa-Sum.

Lyonpo Chenkyab Dorji is awarded the Order of Druk Thuksey in recognition for his dedicated service to the country spanning over 56 years. Lyonpo Chenkyab Dorji joined the civil service in 1961 as the first graduate forester in the country. His Majesty the Fourth Druk Gyalpo conferred him the Red Scarf in 1975 and the Orange Scarf in 1991. Currently, he is serving as the Chairman of the Royal Privy Council of Bhutan.

“His Majesty has given me recognition so I must honuor that. Of course I have given 56 years of my service, so I want to rededicate it to the service of Tsa-wa-sum with utmost dedication and loyalty,” said Lyonpo Chenkyab Dorji.

The 56 years old, Dasho Penjore is awarded Druk Thuksey in recognition for his contributions as the Governor of the Royal Monetary Authority (RMA). Dasho Penjore introduced the Minimum Lending Rate, which resulted in lowering of interest rates of loans from financial institutions. He also initiated the Priority Sector Lending Guidelines as a result of the vision and inspiration from His Majesty to improve access to finance for youth and farmers in entrepreneurship and commercial farming. His Majesty conferred him the Red Scarf in 2008.

The award also recognises RMA as an institute and its contribution towards improving financial services in the country.

“RMA also received the same recognition, so more than me, I am overwhelmed and happy with the institution I am representing and receiving such kind of high esteemed recognition from His Majesty,” said Dasho Penjore.

His Majesty also awarded the Order of Druk Thuksey to Dr. Lotay Tshering for his dedicated contributions in the medical field and tirelessly serving the people in need of medical attention. Dr. Lotay is a surgeon and currently heads the team of His Majesty’s Kidu Mobile Medical Unit. He is also a recipient of the ‘Unsung Hero of Compassion’ award at San Francisco in 2005.

“I am aware this recognition is not for me but for my profession and my team. It’s an unforgettable moment not just in this lifetime but the next as well,” said Dr. Lotay.

Einar Kippenes, the first Principal of Muenselling School in Khaling received the National Order of Merit- Gold. A Norwegian born, Mr. Kippenes worked in Bhutan for 9 years, from 1972 to 1981. During those years, he traveled to different parts of the country in search of visually impaired children for admission in the institute. He started integrated educational programme for visually impaired in 1979 including skill development.

Einar Kippenes and Werner Kuelling were awarded the National
Order of Merit

E. Werner Kuelling is awarded National Order of Merit- Gold in appreciation of Helvetas assistance extended to Bhutan under his leadership, and his personal love and affection for Bhutan and its people. He served as the Helvetas Resident Coordinator in Bhutan from 2006 to 2008.

Francoise Pommaret, an associate professor at the Takste College for Language and Culture Studies in Trongsa, is also awarded the National Order of Merit- Gold for her contributions in the field of education research. From France, she also holds Bhutanese citizenship granted by His Majesty.

Dechen Dorji, Francoise Pommaret, and Michael Ruthland were
awarded the National Order of Merit

Michael Ruthland, the British Honorary Consul in Bhutan received the National Order of Merit- Gold. He served as the Science and Math Royal Tutor to His Majesty the Fourth Druk Gyalpo when His Majesty was the Crown Prince. His Majesty The King granted him Bhutanese citizenship in 2006.

Dechen Dorji, the Country Representative of WWF Bhutan Programme, is awarded National Order of Merit- Gold for his contributions to Bhutan’s sustainable environment development. Through the project, Bhutan for Life, he managed to accumulate Nu 2.8 bn. The fund will immensely help in preserving the country’s environment.

“This medal is a result of a collective effort, a team effort, who has all worked together towards this goal,” said Dechen Dorji.

His Majesty The King also awarded National Order of Merit to 81 individuals from the Health, and Agriculture and Forests ministries for their distinguished and meritorious services to the Nation.

47 individuals from the Ministry of Health, and 34 individuals
from the Minisrty of Agriculture and Forests were awarded the National
Order of Merit

“I am honoured and humbled, and also privileged to be honoured on this 110th National Day celebration,” said Dr. Kunzang Getshen, another recipient of National Order of Merit (Gold)

“We have around 1,600 staff in the agriculture and forests ministry. This award is recognising their efforts as well. Although the achievement is not much, it’s an honour to receive the award,” said Lhab Gyeltshen, who is also the recipient of National Order of Merit (Gold)

The history of national decorations and honors in Bhutan were introduced when His Majesty the First King, Gongsar Ugyen Wangchuck, introduced the Coronation Medal in 1907.

Top Stories

Related Stories

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube