Crèches in offices enable women to focus on work

The trend of opening crèches at work places may be slow, but for those agencies having one, the facility has benefited its employees. It saves their time and enhances work output while simultaneously giving their child the required care. 

Sebika Newar, a working mother is an employee of the Ministry of Works and Human Settlement (MoWHS). Unlike her friends in other agencies, she is fortunate to have a crèche opened at her work place recently. She can now bring her daughter, who is a year and half old, to her work place. Earlier, without such a facility, it was difficult managing the tasks of a mother and a civil servant.

“Even if we have a babysitter, at times, she would call us saying the baby is crying. Then I have to go home and often get stuck in a traffic jam. That way, I can neither concentrate on my work or give enough time to my baby,” said Sebika.

Works and Human Settlement Minister Dorji Choden, who is also the chairperson of the National Commission for Women and Children, said the initiative is to improve the efficiency of working women.

“Considering the gender equality concept, women have access to education, after which, they get into jobs. But it becomes increasingly difficult for them to climb up the career ladder. They often resign from the job because there’s no one at home to look after their infant child.”

Lyonpo added that,”With crèches established in a workplace, a working mother can do her job uninterrupted and diligently, and at the same time, attend to her child’s care.”

She also said from the perspective of a child’s health, it is essential to breastfeed a child for the first six months.

Including MoWHS, today, there are 10 agencies with crèches for its staff. The cabinet issued the directive to have such a facility to all government agencies in 2015.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube