Zhemgang town’s only tailoring business thrives

Thirty three-year-old Pema Lhamo is causing quite a stir as the only tailor in the whole of Zhemgang town. The mother of five from Goshing Gewog learned tailoring as a student at the Zorig Chhusum institute in Trashi Yangtse.

After graduating from the institute, Pema had worked at a tailoring shop in Trashi Yangtse for a year. She then moved to Trashigang where she worked for three more years, perfecting her skills.

Finally in 2014, Pema returned to her home in Zhemgang to venture into a tailoring business. She set up her business with a loan of Nu 35,000 from the Bhutan Development Bank Limited.

“There were no tailors in the town at the time,” said Pema. “This inspired me to start the business.”

The people of Zhemgang town, who earlier had to visit tailor shops in Gelegphu town, could not have been happier.

“I am happy that the skill I learned from the Zorig Chhusum institute has not only helped me earn a living but also enabled me to help the people in my dzongkhag,” said Pema Lhamo.

Initially, she operated from home. But now Pema owns a shop in the heart of Zhemgang town, which she opened recently. “I earn around Nu, 20,000 in a month,” shared Pema. “I think I could earn more but it is not bad given the town’s population is meagre.”

As the lone tailor, Pema is not just focussed on making money. She also plans to train youths interested in becoming a tailor to solve the shortage of tailors in the dzongkhag.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube