Bhutan’s first ever women’s basketball team to compete at South Asian games

Bhutan’s first ever women’s basketball team to compete at South Asian gamesBhutan’s first ever women’s National Basketball Team will take part in the South Asian games, this year. The South Asian games will be held for almost two weeks in Guwahati, India.

The 12 players are undergoing rigorous training for the upcoming match.

“We have very good shooters on this team. We have got couple of girls who can really shoot well and speed will be our big asset. Our girls can move up and down the court very fast,” said, Head Coach, Mike Behnke.

The other big asset, Mike Behnke, said is the training at high altitude. “We are going to play the other teams at sea level so that will be a big advantage.”

Their weakness is that they are not a tall team. “But I have always coached smaller teams by specializing, using speed instead of height,” said Mike Behnke.

The team captain, Namzay Kumutha said she is proud to lead the country’s first ever women’s basketball team. “It has always been my dream to represent the country…”

Many players said they have been working hard.

“It is like a dream come true for me and I have been travelling from Paro for training for the last two months,” said one of the players, Ugyen Wangmo.

The Head Coach said they are planning to play two to three matches every year.

Bhutan Basketball Federation is also planning under-16 and under-18 women’s national basketball team.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube