English | Dzongkha Friday, October 20, 2017

NC questions MoWHS Minister on Damchu-Chhukha bypass

Nov 28, 2014

NC-Damchu-ChhukhaBypassThe National Council members questioned the Works and Human Settlement Minister, Dorji Choden on the progress of the Damchu-Chhukha bypass road.

The NC MPs, during the Question and Answer session today, said they are concerned about the delay in the completion of the bypass construction.

It has been more than seven years since the construction of Damchu-Chhukha bypass began. However, the works are far from completion.

The Members of the National Council asked Lyonpo Dorji Choden why the Project DANTAK is failing to meet the deadlines.

Lyonpo Dorji Choden said they have visited the site frequently and have also held continuous dialogue with senior engineers of the Project DANTAK for prompt result.

National Council’s Chairperson said if project DANTAK could expedite the works it has already undertaken.

The Damchu-Chhukha bypass is expected to be completed by 2016. Once complete, the bypass will reduce travel distance from Thimphu to Phuentshogling by an hour.

1 Comment for “NC questions MoWHS Minister on Damchu-Chhukha bypass”

1. Concerned Citizen

This bypass road being constructed by Dantak will take ages more if not monitored just because they wanted to save time staying here. If they complete their projects on time, there isn’t another site to work on which may lead them to leave Bhutan. We public have waited passionately for last 7-8years seeing no progress on this bypass road construction. Yes, i know the hardship they entrails like sheer cliff, hard rock, etc. but if they had employ modern machines, use current technology, I feel they could have finished within 3-4 years. This type of geological conditions they face on surface road is nothing like that of hydro power. Even a 1000MW hydel could have been constructed within same time frame. Now, our government should request Indian government for speedy work as last resort since we enjoy good relationship with India. My view is there is some political reason for delaying the work. Lastly, hope that next government will not have to again beg dantak to complete it.

Leave a Reply

6 + one =

Copyright © 2017 BBSC.