Festival of Lhuentse losing its luster

HaFestival-LhuentseHa, one of the biggest festivals in Kharshong under Lhuentse, is at a crucial juncture. It could either continue to be the biggest festival or it could cease to be. Its fate lies entirely in the hand of a man- the lead performer.

Since last year, the lead performer has refused to be part of the performance, which showcases a dance, infused with prayers and offerings to their local deity.

A resident of Tangmachhu, Yeshey Dorji, said a tradition cannot come to an abrupt halt like this and that it has to continue once the responsibility has been bestowed upon someone.

BBS could not get in touch with the lead performer.

But, some pockets of Lhuentse still continue observe the tradition even though the magnitude of it has declined.

A few still make it a point to get up early, put on their finest garments, pack best of food, and go to the venue where the festivals are held.

Rinzinla, 49, from Tangmachhu, says the festival has lost its luster over the years. “We used to poke fun at each other.” He said he missed two years of the festival and could attend only this year. “It is sad to see the state of the festival. The fun is missing.”

Mask dances are also performed during the festival. Varieties of food are served and shared among friends and families. Ha is an event which brings the people of Lhuentse together.

“I feel I can stop attending the festival now,” said Nado from Tangmachhu. He said the quality of the festival is declining by the year. “I am saying, even our women need not attend the festival. Why should they suffer when they could stay at home peacefully?”

Top Stories

Related Stories

3 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube