Remembering 2009 September 21 earthquake

EarthquakeDrillSchools across the country performed the preparedness drill, today, to mark the anniversary of the 2009 September 21 earthquake that struck eastern Bhutan. Several people lost their lives and caused huge damage to the properties.

In Thimphu, students of Changgangkha middle secondary school demonstrated how to duck under a desk in the event of an earthquake. The roles and responsibilities of the evacuation and rescue team, the first aid group, and transportation during times of emergency were also outlined.

A student of Jampeling Higher Secondary School in Kanglung, Trashigang said the mock drill was very helpful because when real incident happened they would get to know what should be done what should not. “I can also share the information when I go to my village since it will be useful and they do not get information like this in the village,” said Kuenga Dhendup.EarthquakeDrill-Jampeling-Higher-Secondary-School-in-Kanglung

The drill began exactly at 10:15 am, in all the schools across the Country.

After drafting the School Disaster Management Planning Guidelines in 2009 schools in the Country have formulated their own School Disaster Management Plans. The mock drills are being conducted as part of the school programme.

Meanwhile, the Ambassador of the Czech Republic to Bhutan, Miloslav Stasek, was in Bumthang, today, to observe the earthquake drill at the Wangdichholing Middle Secondary School. The Ambassador interacted with the students and also congratulated them on the successful drill.

Mr. Stasek shared that the Czech government would continue to render technical and financial support to disaster management in Bhutan. The Czech Republic is one of the financial supporters of disaster management activities in the country.

Top Stories

Related Stories

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube