Gelegphu taxi drivers propose fare hike

FuelPriceHike-FareHIkeTaxi drivers in Gelegphu are proposing for a hike in taxi fare following an increase in the price of petrol and diesel. The hike is a result of increased transportation cost caused by vehicles having to make detour from Thimphu as the Deosiri bridge in Assam, India has been partially damaged.

A litre of petrol costs Nu. 69 and a litre of diesel costs Nu. 53.13 in Gelegphu at the moment. It is four ngultrum more than what it is actually supposed to cost. It has been over a month that the new rates have been in effect. Taxi drivers have been affected by the hike. The taxi drivers met with RSTA officials in Gelephu to propose for a hike in taxi fare yesterday.

“The price of fuel has increased. We don’t get enough money to pay our loan. We proposed for a hike in fare from last time but failed. We will be thankful if the fare is increased,” said Jigme Zangpo, a Taxi Driver.

Another driver, Lhendup Dorji, said even shops have increased the price of goods. “Our fare is low and the price of petrol is 69 Ngultrum. We are facing problem as the fare has not been increased.”

“For example if we go to Bhur, the taxi consumes five litres of oil for a round trip and for a person we get only 40 Ngultrum. While returning we don’t get passengers,” explains B B Bujal, a member of the Taxi Tshogpa.

The Chief Regional Transport Officer of Gelegphu, Bola Gyeltshen, said the Regional Road Safety and Transport Authority office does not have the authority to increase or lower the fare of bus and taxis.

“I just received application from the Taxi Tshogpa to increase the taxi fare but then I cannot decide here. What I will do is I will just encroach their application to the head office and they will decide from there.”

Another reason the taxi drivers are citing for the need to hike taxi fare is the increase in price of vehicle spare parts.

Top Stories

Related Stories

7 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube