English | Dzongkha Saturday, April 20, 2019

Manang defeats United Sikkim to enter finals

Aug 8, 2013

Manang-FC--United-Sikkim-FCIn the first semi-final of the King’s Cup this evening, Manang Marshyangdi FC from Nepal defeated United Sikkim FC. At stoppage time, the match ended in a draw, 2-2. In extra time, Manang Marshyandi scored four more goals, sealing their place in the finals. The match ended 6-2.

Manang Marshyangdi’s Yona Elias Dabla scored another hat trick, today, the first of which was in the 100th minute. The other scorers were Bhim Bahadur Darlami (29 mins), Captain Sujal Shrestha (51 mins), and Sulav Maskey (extra time).

United Sikkim’s goals were scored by Bijindra Rai (62 mins) and Captain Thubden Bhutia (90 mins).

Although United Sikkim managed immense pressure on Manang Marshyangdi in the first half, and made a comeback in the second half, leveling the game by stoppage time, they appeared a diminished team by extra time.

Football celebrity, Baichung Bhutia, joining in the second half gave United Sikkim’s confidence a boost, and made Manang defenders very nervous. Baichung joined as a forward, creating both goals for his team and also many other opportunities. United Sikkim appeared a formidable foe threatening to bring an abrupt end to Manang Marshyangdi’s winning streak and sending them home.

But the third goal in extra time by Yona was a turning point for both teams: while Manang Marshyangdi were reenergised, United Sikkim’s spirits appeared to sag along with their energy levels. Sensing the shift, Manang made the most of the situation, and scored three more goals.

Referee Yeshi Gyaltshen’s decision to not give a second yellow (and subsequent red) to Manang’s defender Saheed Azeez for a foul in the D-area against Utd Sikkim’s Bijendra Rai in added time was a controversial one. Yeshi’s decision angered the 4000+ fans that had gathered at the Changlimithang Stadium all in support of Baichung Bhutia and his team. But, it was discovered later that Baichung may have also been a little more aggressive than necessary towards Saheed, before settling the situation amiably. Referee Yeshi has been criticised for being a little too lenient.

The first semi-final match that went on for 125 minutes was full of entertainment and nail-biting moments. By the end of it, Manang Marshyangdi had silenced the entire stadium with six goals.

Manang Marshyangdi will face either Yeedzin FC (Bhutan) or Three Star FC (Nepal) after the second semi-final, tomorrow.

The finals will be held on Sunday.

2 Comments for “Manang defeats United Sikkim to enter finals”

  1. Jamyang Jamtsho

    What a scene…,ball soaring above but the goalie already driving…not a single spectator on sight?

  2. lapgonomay

    whatever maybe, nepal to nepal will be in the final.

Leave a Reply


− five = 2

Copyright © 2019 BBSC.