Cataract surgeries restore eyesight of many in Monggar

Many people who lost their vision because of cataract are gaining their eyesight back. Thanks to an eye camp in Monggar that is helping people undergo cataract surgeries.

Cataract is clouding of the eye’s lens- the part of the eye that is responsible for focusing light. For many, cataract occurs because of old age.

Namgam from Yadi in Monggar completely lost for vision for about four months. “I lost my left eye sight two years back. My right eye stopped seeing four months ago,” she said.

Her eyesight has been restored in a 10-day eye camp underway in Monggar.

Another beneficiary of the camp, 74-year-old Nidup said he was completely blind since July this year. “I could not do anything on my own.”

Like Namgam and Nidup, many who underwent cataract surgeries were overwhelmed. They said there is nothing greater than being able to see again.

Dr. Nor Tshering of JDWNRH  said cataract is one of the leading causes of blindness in the world. “But it can be easily cured with a simple surgery.”

So far, about 17 people have been operated and 15 more will undergo operations tomorrow. The eye camp ends on November 30.

Top Stories

Related Stories

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube