Bhutanese student wins Enikki Festa Award

Thirteen-year-old Sangay Choezom Sherpa, a class eight student at Damphu Middle Secondary School in Tsirang has won the Mitsubishi Asian Children’s Enikki Festa 2021-2022 for her artwork. She competed in the Grand Prix Award category against entries from five schools across the country. The Enikki Festa is a biennial Art Festival organised by the National Federation of UNESCO Associations in Japan for children aged six to 12 to promote literacy education and cultural understanding among children in Asia.

Sangay’s five-page award-winning artwork depicts Bhutan’s unique culture, everyday life and strong bond with her family.

She received the first prize, including a cash prize of 2,000 US dollars or around Nu 164,900 and other prizes.

Due to the pandemic, she couldn’t attend the award ceremony in Japan last year.

“I was really shocked, mesmerised and overwhelmed. I missed two days of my school to complete the artwork. And I had to stay in the art room with my art club coordinator and he helped me throughout my journey,” said Sangay Choezom Sherpa.

She plans to save the prize money for her tertiary education and further develop her artistic skills. The Bhutan National Commission for UNESCO sent the entries to the international level competition after the national level screening.

The artworks were judged based on originality, creativity, uniqueness, sensitivity and variety.

Pema Tshewang, Tsirang

Edited by Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube