National competition on CodeMonkey sees 157 participants

To understand the level of coding concepts in students who have taken various CodeMonkey courses in schools, the Education and Skills Development ministry conducted an online national coding competition yesterday. The participants were required to develop games on the CodeMonkey platform from computers in their respective schools.

The participants were given the freedom to incorporate a theme of their choice while coming up with their games. They had the freedom to design, colour and code the games depending on their creativity. The competition is for the second category of students which includes class seven and eight students. The competition for the first category which has students from class five and six was held in December, last year.

157 students from various schools across the country took part in the current competition. They have previously learnt coding on the CodeMonkey platform in school as a part of their Information and Communications Technology (ICT) classes. They said that CodeMonkey is helping them enhance their coding skills.

Vivek Pradhan, one of the participants from Lungtenzampa Middle Secondary School says he always loved doing coding during his free time but he did not have a proper platform to do it. “Now, CodeMonkey is one my platforms. Before I thought I would not be able to become a programmer, but now because of CodeMonkey, I think my dream is fulfilled.”

Sonam Wangchen Norbu, another participant from Changzamtog Middle Secondary School said that CodeMonkey has helped him gain a lot of experience on coding. “Even my creativity has enhanced and as a person who plays games, it has also helped me a lot. I would like to thank His Majesty the King for giving me this opportunity.”

CodeMonkey, a game-based coding platform, was gifted by His Majesty the King to Bhutanese students in August 2021 as Royal Soelra to enhance coding skills in schools and to equip the children with 21st Century knowledge and skills.

CodeMonkey was introduced into the education curriculum in 2021 in schools having classes PP to eight as part of the school ICT curriculum.

Meanwhile, the winner of the competition will be announced on His Majesty the King’s birth anniversary on Tuesday after an assessment.

Namgay Dema

Edited by Kipchu

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube