Team Singye wins men’s National Cricket Championship

Team Singye has won the men’s national cricket championship which was held in Gelephu. The team defeated team Chung by 135 runs in the final match yesterday. The first-ever men’s national cricket championship was held to train and select the national players for an upcoming international tournament.

Sixty players from six districts participated in the weeklong men’s national cricket championship.

They were selected based on their performances.

Upon reaching Gelephu, they were divided into four teams and competed for the title.

According to the Bhutan Cricket Council Board, they will now select 28 players of which 14 will be chosen as national players after playing some more matches.

The national team will be participating in the upcoming ACC men’s Challenge Cup which will be held in Thailand next month. It is the qualifying round for Asia Cup 2023.

“We came here early so that we can get some training from our head coach. But I couldn’t perform as expected. They will select the top 30 players. So, if I get selected in that list, I will try my best,” said Sherab Loday, one of the participants.

“I tried my best but I don’t know whether I will be selected or not. There are many talented players,” said Tshering Rigden, another participant.

“The selection obviously is based on their performance here. We will be looking at the mentality of the players and whether they are capable of playing in the international, fitness wise and a lot of things we will be looking at,” added Damber S Gurung, the CEO of Bhutan Cricket Council Board.

Meanwhile, the women’s national cricket championship will start on Tuesday.

Karma Wangdi, Sarpang

Edited by Tshering Zam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube