Consumers unhappy with high chilli price

As green chillies imported from India hit the vegetable market in Gelephu, people expected to get the spice at affordable rates. However, consumers complain that the chillies in the market are still being sold at inflated prices. Meanwhile, commercial chilli farmers in the district are upset with the government’s decision to import chillies.

A kilogram of green chillies in Gelephu costs about Nu 200.

As per the government’s directive, the Gelephu FCB distributed chillies to wholesalers on Monday at Nu 65 per kilogram. The wholesalers then supplied the chillies to the vendors. The people expected a kilogram of chillies to cost between 100 and Nu 150 but it wasn’t.

“FCB imports green chillies from India and supplies to retailers at low cost but retailers here sell it at a high price. In the end, consumers are the ones who are at a loss,” said Wangchuk, another consumer.

The vendors say selling chillies at Nu 100 to 120 per kilogram is not profitable.

“A lot of the chillies are damaged or rotten and we have to throw them away, so selling them below Nu 150 is not possible. We have to charge at least Nu 200 per kilogram,” said Sangay Dema, a vegetable vendor.

Meanwhile, commercial chilli growers in Sarpang are disappointed with the import of chillies from India. They say their business is affected as they cannot sell their chillies below Nu 350 per kilogram due to high production costs.

“When I heard the news of the government importing green chillies, I sent workers home. I have decided not to work on the remaining 13 acres that I was planning to start planting,” said Namdrul Wangchuk, a commercial chilli grower in Chhuzergang Gewog.

“If they continue to import chillies, we cannot do business. We cannot even recover the amount spent on growing chillies here. We have borrowed money to carry out the works here,” said Sangay Dema, another commercial chilli grower.

Other commercial chilli growers say they are discouraged as well.  

Karma Wangdi, Gelephu

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube