Amateur baseball league begins

Baseball is a well-known game that is widely played in many countries. In Bhutan, although a new sport, it is slowly gaining popularity among the youth. To further promote baseball in the country, the first under-15 amateur baseball league started in the capital today.

Baseball is a bat and ball game played between two opposing teams, consisting of nine players each. The two teams take turns batting and fielding.

The game proceeds when a player from the fielding team throws a ball which a player from the batting team tries to hit with a bat.

The objective of the batting team is to hit the ball into the field of play, allowing its players to run and advance through four bases to score runs.

The defensive or fielding teams must prevent the batters from becoming runners and stop runners from advancing around the bases. The team that scores the most runs at the end of the game wins.

The Bhutan Baseball and Softball Association, founded in July this year, organized the league.

“When we started we had a handful of youths, students, and people whom we know coming forward. Once we started visiting schools and all, the children found it very interesting” said Nabin Basnet, the Vice President of the Bhutan Baseball and Softball Association.

“It is a fast-paced game where a player’s agility is a must. Throughout the inning, you have to be very active. So this made the kids come forward and through word of mouth it went from one person to another and the parents are also supportive in this.”

The league, which will last for three months, aims to engage and groom young players. There will be five teams each comprising of ninety students.

“About 40 interested students were initially picked from my school. Then from 40, 18 best were selected for the league. So, we are very delighted to be a part of the first league,” said Tandin Tshering, a participant.

“I took part in this league because I wanted to play baseball. it’s easy to play this game. All we have to do is hit the ball and run into bases. I will continue to play this game as it’s fun and I want to be in a national team,” said Kinley Wangyel, another participant.

Currently, there are more than 1,000 registered students who are learning baseball. The association plans to organize leagues for older players as well.

Kelzang Choden

Edited by Yeshi Gyaltshen

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube