GRF used legally- Finance Minister

The legality of using the General Reserve Fund (GRF) was again questioned today. The Samdrup Jongkhar’s MP from Jomotshangkha-Martshala asked for clarifications from the Finance Minister for using the GRF in his Dzongkhag. Finance Minister Namgay Tshering said the budget appropriation was done legally.

As per the 2020-2021 National Budget Report, the GRF is an amount set aside to meet unforeseen, unavoidable, unexpected future expenditure or financial obligations that may arise during the financial year. It is a part of the Budget approved every year and is generally used for retirement benefits, monsoon restoration works, on new civil servant recruits, disaster contingency among others.

According to the Jomotshangkha-Martshala’s MP, the use of GRF in the Finance Minister’s constituency is an abuse of power.

“According to reports, the Finance Minister has spent Nu 19 M from the GRF in his Dzongkhag and constituency. We believe that this is against the constitution. It is also against the Public Finance Act and Financial Rules and Regulations,” said MP Norbu Wangzom.

However, the Finance Minister said the budget was approved by the parliament during the last session.

“Supplementary budget, activities and programmes set for Paro Dzongkhag are approved from here. I clearly remember, everyone voted and approved about five months ago. Zhemgang dzongkhag has also received such budgets,” said Lyonpo.

Lyonpo said such accusations for the sake of politics should not be raised.

Lyonpo also added that instead of blaming, the Opposition Party should guide the government in achieving the common goal of the nation’s development.

“If I have violated any acts or regulations, I will take the full responsibility,” said Lyonpo.

The minister had previously said the Public Finance Act 2007 and the Financial Rules and Regulations 2016 authorize the ministry to allocate additional budget through technical adjustment based on the request received from the budgetary agencies.

Tshering Dendup

Edited by Sonam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube