Gelephu town goes back to two-way traffic

Gelephu town in Sarpang has gone back to its old traffic system. Traffic in the middle of the town was changed into a one-way street for motorists a few years ago. However, the change has now been done away with for the convenience of the public.

In 2019, the Gelephu Thromde made the town’s main road a one-way street to make it safer. Blockades were placed to close some streets and some roads became narrow. Sometimes people had to drive all around the town to go somewhere that could be reached easily with a simple turn.

The doing away with this traffic system comes as a good news especially for the shopkeepers of Losel Lam. They say it was affecting their business.

According to Hema Gurung, it has become convenient for everyone now. “Compared to the old system, it’s much better right now. People have started coming to our shops as well.”

Gita Maya Basnath, who also runs a shop along Losel Lam feels the same. “It wasn’t just me, but all businesses here were badly affected,” she said. “People didn’t come because they had to drive all across the town to reach here. But we are hopeful our business will improve now.”

Meanwhile, some residents are not so pleased with the decision.

“I think there will be traffic jams again. One way traffic was convenient,” said Pelden, a resident of Gelephu town.

Gangasing Rai, who is a Taxi Driver by profession, feels the new system will be inconvenient. “I feel traffic would be smoother with the one way system, there are also chances of accidents since cars can make the right turns now,” he said.

According to the Gelephu Thrompon, the move is a trial for now. They will study its effectiveness before making it permanent.

Karma Wangdi

Edited by Yeshi Gyaltshen 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube