Journalism students from Singapore on GNH tour

Fourteen journalism students from the Nanyang Technological University, Singapore are in the Country on a GNH study tour. The students are working on producing feature stories, photo essays and video documentaries on various aspects of Bhutan to be released in Singapore.

Trinh Hoang Ly, 14, is working on two stories- rural-urban migration and on organic farming. Sharing her experiences she said the strong purpose and hope the Bhutanese people have behind their hardship is an inspiration for them. “I am amazed looking at the hope and purpose the people live in the city,” she said.

“There is one boy we talked to- he was living away from his parents since he was six years old. He said he has been living with different relatives since then to pursue his studies. He said he feels lonely as he has no one to share his emotions with. However, even with such a sad story for the whole time he was smiling and when I asked he said happiness is all I have and I want to complete my studies and bring my parents to the city,” narrates Trinh Hoang Ly.

Ly’s cameraman, Lim Quah Chiang Benny, said his experience in Bhutan was exciting one though challenging. “There is a big difference in working at Singapore and Bhutan. It was a very exciting moment. I also faced lot of challenges of climbing the slopes and in going down steep to get the interviews and shots. But the Bhutanese hospitality helped me overcome all those though I am afraid of heights.”

Apart from Benny and Ly some stories the other students are working on are about the Drayangs, tourism, sports and traditional folktales. The Associate Professor, Cherian George, who is also the director of Asian journalism fellowship, said Bhutan’s unique development model is something which they can look upon.

“What we find the most interesting about Bhutan is that your country has decided to look at growth as an end to need rather than end itself. And of course the end that everybody wants is happiness and I think this idea of looking beyond GDP indicators and trying to find what exactly matters to human being. This is something we find valuable and unique from all countries,” said Cherian George, who is also leading the group.

He also described the Bhutanese people being media friendly as different from Singapore. “What we really appreciated is the level of access we got from the government officials, spokesman and so on; how easily the people were welcoming starting from ordinary people to right up to the top. This is very different from Singapore that made us much easy to operate.”

The team will leave the Country on Friday.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube