Tsakaling residents looking forward to make best use of their land

People of Tsakaling in Patshaling gewog in Tsirang are now looking forward to making the best use of their land. This is because land development work is in full swing to make every land favourable for cultivation. Earlier, some farmers in the community complained about their lands unfit for cultivation.

After leaving her land fallow for three years, Chimi Dema is back on her farm. The land which used to be steep is now changed. It has been made better for cultivation.

The crops did not grow well. Chimi even planned for a land substitute but to no avail.

“Orange trees and vegetables used to dry as if hot water is poured on it. So it discouraged me to continue growing vegetables. I have been growing vegetables in my aunt’s land,” said Chimi Dema.

Chimi abandoned this land and her husband started working in a school for income. But things might change now. Today, Chimi developed about one acre of land for farming. She plans to grow vegetables once again but she is doubtful.

Chimi Dema said “The previous landowner told me that he had to abandon the land after it was found unfit for cultivation but he asked me to try once. I don’t know whether crops will thrive or not in the developed land. And if there is no improvement, getting land substitute is the only option.”

Another farmer Chengala said “Once the land is developed, it will be easier for us to work. Earlier, because of steep lands, it was very difficult to retain water. The rainwater used to wash away topsoil making the land infertile. But now farmers are planning to reuse the land.”

The district agriculture sector is financing 75 per cent of the cost.

“We had to focus on land development here in Tsakaling because we found most farmlands were not fit for cultivation. Secondly, it is to boost commercial farming among youth because at the moment they could not start any commercial farming,” said Sangay Dorji, the gewog’s Agriculture Extension Officer.

Tsirang has plans to develop land in Rangthangling, Tsholingkhar, Patshaling and Kilkhorthang gewogs in this financial year.

Pema Tshewang, Tsirang

Edited by Tandin Phuntsho

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube