Armyworm infestation worries farmer in Thang-Rong Gewog, Monggar

Farmers of Ngaru-Pontang Chiwog in Thang-Rong Gewog of Monggar are worried about the maize yield this year. The army worm infestation and untimely rain affected maize production of more than 60 households. Farmers claim their maize production would decrease by half the amount compared to last year.

First the untimely rain affected the maize production. Maize plants started wilting and died without rainfall. Then the army worm made it worst.

The army worm infested the maize in over 30 acres of land.

Tshewang Lhamo, a farmer said, “In the past, I used to harvest 50 to 60 bamboo baskets of maize but this year I can expect only 20 baskets. The maize plants also took longer duration to grow in dry weather. So I won’t be able to grow maize plants twice this year.”

“Usually, our harvest will be sufficient for the whole family. But this time, most of the farmers are worried.” said Tenzin, another farmer.

Maize is the a staple diet for the farmers of Thang-Rong Gewog. Every household grows maize twice a year. Despite the problem, some farmers started growing the second batch of maize beginning last month.

The gewog agriculture extension officer assessed the crop damages and submitted to the dzongkhag administration.

They helped the affected farmers in growing the maize once again.

International research papers show that outbreak of disease and pests, change in rainfall pattern, loss of crop yield and loss of soil fertility are some of the major impacts of climate change on agriculture.

Sonam Tshering, Monggar  

Edited by Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube