Police denied registering a battery case against five police personnel due to lack of evidence and time lapse

The Thimphu police refused to register a battery case lodged by a 41-year-old man against five police personnel. As per the police, the case was denied due to lack of evidence and time-lapse.

Although the incident took place last month, the complainant lodged the complaint recently after an X-ray report revealed two of his ribs have been fractured. He claims he was battered by five traffic personnel on the night of 13th February while he was on his way home at around 9:30 PM after an archery match.

He alleged that the traffic police stopped his vehicle near Zeeling shop and asked him why he didn’t stop the car near the Norling building when he was asked to. And, since he was drunk, he said he didn’t notice the traffic personnel. The police personnel then asked him to submit his documents and told him that he should come to the traffic office. They handcuffed him and when he denied going, that’s when he claimed he was battered.

“I moved when they handcuffed me. That’s when one of the police personnel kicked me hard. Also, a woman constable kept her foot on my chest and punched me. There were few people present when the incident occurred, but no one helped me. So, I didn’t know what to do after that and didn’t say anything since I was scared that they will batter me again if I move,” said Namgay Dorji, the complainant.

He said he was also accused of a hit and run case because of a scratch mark on his car.

According to him, with time, he started feeling pain in his rib cage. That’s when he decided to go to the hospital for a check-up. The doctor after an X-ray told him that he has two fractured ribs.

Meanwhile, an official from the Thimphu Police said although they didn’t register his complaint, they did a preliminary investigation. During their investigation, they checked the CCTV footage in the area but it allegedly showed nothing except for the constables checking his car. And the police also investigated the five traffic constables involved, but they denied battering the man.

Pema Seldon Tshering

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube