More than 10 organic products from Lull, a model organic village

In just a year after the agriculture ministry certified Lull in Kazhi Gewog of Wangdue Phodrang as a model organic village, the villagers launched more than 10 products recently. And they say this is just the beginning. They want to keep adding more items to their list of certified organic products.

The certified products include potatoes, cauliflower, spring onions, and flours among others. The success is the result of a decision the people of Lull took a few years ago, and those who left the village returned, constructed their road, and ventured into organic farming.

“It has been four years since I last used chemical fertilizers on my farm. Using manure for growing potatoes also gives a good harvest. I am thinking of using only locally available manure henceforth because chemical fertilizers also damage the soil,” said Luku, a farmer in Kazhi Gewog.

“We use farmyard manure such as cow dung. We also use topsoil from the forest whenever required. We will continue doing so because we reached this stage of development with much difficulty,” added Pemba, also a farmer.

As part of the event, Chimakha Organic Farm in Paro also introduced its certified organic products. The farm is into growing organic rice, asparagus, and vegetables.

“I started organic farming in 2003 and used only farmyard manure such as cow dung and topsoil from the forest. Now, people have a better understanding of organic products and so, selling my products is not a problem. Earlier, I did face some marketing problems. Even the production is as good as using chemical fertilizers,” said Kinley Wangmo, from Chimakha Organic Farm under Loong-nyi Gewog in Paro.

Meanwhile, with the products launched, the people of five households of Lull are brimming with hope and optimism. And this is only valid as the government promises its support for their farming activity. It has allocated Nu 1bn for the Organic Flagship Programme in the current Plan.

Changa Dorji, Wangdue Phodrang

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube