Fertilizers, crucial for potato growers in Trashigang

With the onset of potato cultivation season in Kanglung Gewog in Trashigang, farmers are worried as they could not get inorganic fertilizers on time. However, three truckloads of fertilizers reached the Gewog yesterday. Villagers have been using fertilizers for a better yield. 

Although some of the farmers started potato cultivation, many are yet to start. Farmers have been preparing the lands but were worried about the fertilizer.

The commonly used fertilizers in the gewog are Urea, Suphala and Single Superphosphate.

Yesterday as soon as the farmers heard about the arrival of the fertilizers, people rushed to procure.

“Actually, I cultivate potatoes before the Chunipai Losar. But this time, due to the lockdown, I could not buy the fertilizers,” said Tshelthrim Dorji, a farmer from YonphuPam village.

He added that “fertilizer is used as in providing additional nutrients as manure is not so efficient in producing a good yield.”

Even farmers from Khaling and Udzorong gewog also came to buy the fertilizer after availing travel permit.

“I came here to purchase last time but it was out of stock. I heard that few truckloads will be arriving, so I came to buy few bags,” said Kunzang Namgay from Khaling Gewog.

“Lands are ready for the cultivation. But some of the farmers even thought that they will be not able to grow potato this year. So, we have requested our supplier, National Seed Center. It took around two weeks as we have strict vehicle movement restriction,” said Ugyen Dorji, the agriculture sale representative.

Potato is one of the main cash crops for the farmers in Kanglung Gewog.

Sonam Darjay, Trashigang

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube