Panbang MP Dorji Wangdi is the new Opposition Leader

The Member of Parliament of Panbang, Dorji Wangdi is unanimously elected as the new Opposition Leader following the official exit of the Opposition Leader Pema Gyamtsho (PhD) from the office, today. All 16 members from the Opposition voted in favour of the new Opposition Leader.

This is the first time, an Opposition Leader stepped down from the post before the end of the term. Pema Gyamtsho (PhD) in his political journey served as the Agriculture Minister for five years and as Opposition Leader for almost seven years. He will now join the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development as the Director-General from next month.

He said it’s a new challenge he is undertaking to serve the country better. “I will study how they are improving their economy, tourist management and disaster risk reduction from climate change mitigation and so on and bring it here in our country. So from my side, I am not resigning from serving the country. One of the things I am really proud of is I have no adversaries when I am leaving,” said Pema Gyamtsho (PhD), the former Opposition Leader.

As an appreciation for his service to the nation, Prime Minister Dr Lotay Tshering expressed his gratitude and grief in losing a veteran in the political field.

“We don’t have any ill feelings towards any opposition members and all of us must be feeling sad because a parental figure is leaving the parliament. I want to take this opportunity to thank him for all the support, guidance and being a role model to us. We will be working together in the future as well. ICIMOD is a field where we can draw a lot of support from and we will hope that you extend your help,” said Dr Lotay Tshering, the Prime Minister.

Entrusting the leadership to MP Dorji Wangdi, the veteran MP will now steer the DPT and serve as the Opposition Leader for the next three years.

“It is a matter of grief for DPT when such a person of his calibre is leaving. On the other hand, it is a great opportunity in ICIMOD. And as the  Opposition Leader, I will endeavour to work and achieve like him and will not forget the primary objective and root of the opposition,” said Dorji Wangdi, the Opposition Leader.

With Chhoekor-Tang constituency vacant, a bye-election will be conducted.

Tshering Dendup

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube