The movement cards and zoning system put to use for vegetable distribution

In the wake of Nationwide lockdown, Zoning Task Force distributed around 25,000 vegetable packages to the 44 zones in Thimphu today. The Zoning Task Force initiated the vegetable distribution following complaints from people on social media and to call centres about not receiving vegetables.

A mother in Upper Changzamtok Zone had been feeding her children flour-based food like bathup and flatbread for last three days after she ran out of vegetables.  Today she is amongst the first people to come to the vegetable truck.

Like her, many people have been without vegetables for five days and the truck filled with vegetables came to their rescue.

“I bought cabbage, chilli and potatoes. I ordered vegetable a week before and we are able to get only today. I am happy that I got the vegetables although there are no much varieties,” said Namgay Om, a resident in the Changzamtok zone

And in Taba, the situation was no different. People began to come out of their homes as early as 9 am in the morning. Desuups were seen calling out people and honks of the vegetable delivery truck was also used to make residents aware of the service.

As soon as the transactions were completed, officials punched the movement cards indicating that the concern cardholder has availed the vegetable delivery service and to avoid people from misusing the delivery service.

“The reason why we are punching the movement cards is to ensure that people do not overuse the service and hoard vegetables. This will ensure every resident get a packet of vegetable in Thimphu,” said Tsencho Tshering, the coordinator of the delivery service.

With the movement cards being distributed to everyone residing in Thimphu, various foreign workers in the country were also seen purchasing vegetables using the cards.

“We are happy to receive the vegetables during such times. It is a lockdown period and we cannot go out of our homes to buy vegetables. We are happy that like every Bhutanese people we are also able to buy vegetables through the service,” shared Nagrul Islam, a labourer for a construction site.

“I got the call yesterday that some of the vegetables and other essentials will be distributed. So I was eagerly waiting since today morning. I was actually looking my balcony and when I saw the vegetable truck, I came here. I would like to thank the Government of Bhutan that during this tough time, they managed to supply the basic necessities to the people,” added Suman Bohara, residing in Upper Changzamtok Zone.

A smile on a face and food on the plate was possible only because of people with Forests and Agriculture Ministry who mobilised vegetables to the Centenary Farmer’s Market and distributed to people.

“Around 150 people from the ministry are working here. Agriculture Department collects the vegetables from sources and reaches here. Then Department of Agriculture Marketing monitors the price and plans the distribution. And the packing is done by the forests department,” said Rinzin Dorji, the Secretary of Ministry of Forests and Agriculture.

And also due to hundreds of Dessups who packaged the vegetable throughout the night yesterday.

“Around 80 of us packed vegetables from 7 am to 7 in the evening. And then those Dessups who were not involved in duties took turns to package the vegetables. There were around 350 of them and they packed from 8 pm to 4 in the morning,” said Kinga, a Dessup Coordinator at the CFM.

“All the vegetables that we distributed today are fresh. They are brought from Haa, Paro, Dawakha and Hongtsho and then we packed them,” added Namgay Tshering, also a Dessup Coordinator at the CFM.

Truckloads of vegetables coming in every day to CFM and the mass vegetable distribution today gave an assurance to the people. An assurance that no people in the country will go hungry during the Lockdown.

Passang Dorji/ Sangay Chezom

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube