Residents rushing out for face masks and hand sanitizer

Hundreds of people were seen lining up in front of medical shops early in the morning desperately rushing for face masks and hand sanitizers in Thimphu and nearby districts today. The concerning environment was escalated by the news of the tourist confirmed with coronavirus (COVID-19) case and admitted in Thimphu hospital.

To the dismay of many people, face masks ran out of stock in many pharmacies.

Half the town in Thimphu was closed today due to the COVID-19 scare. Few pharmacies that were not even opened were crowded by people as early as 8 in the morning. Many people shared their concerns and opinions on the volatile situation.

“The most important thing to do right now is to collectively think of a solution to prevent it. If we don’t do that, our country will suffer just like the rest of the countries affected by the virus. That is why people are rushing all over the place for face masks and hand sanitizers. I think the government should keep the people informed about the status and situation of the virus in the country and keep the tourists away for some time because this disease has come from foreign countries,” said Pema Lotey, a resident of Thimphu.

“I was sent here by my boss to get some sanitizers and Dettol soap but I couldn’t get it,” shared Bhola Uraon, residing in the capital.

“The whole system has shut down although we have heard there is only one case. Tourists coming in were banned for some time and those that are leaving are also troubled. Many hotels and agencies have even started with leave without pay actions. Many people are rushing for masks and all. I also came here to buy masks and sanitizers but It is very difficult to get one. Everyone is rushing,” added Tulsi Ram, a Tour Guide.

Face masks in many shops ran out of stock as people kept coming in. With such business soaring, people started complaining that some shops even increased the price of the products. However, people can lodge their complaints with the Office of the Consumer Protection at the toll-free number # 1214 if the prices are hiked.

Tshering Dendup

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube