Bhutan-Thailand friendship drive reaches Thimphu

After travelling an epic eight days journey covering 3,000 km from Thailand, the participants of the Bhutan-Thailand Friendship drive finally reached Thimphu today.

The first ever road journey commemorates the 30th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries. The road journey flagged off from Thailand on 21st June.

A team of 21 participants comprising of officials from the Royal Thai Government, Royal Bhutanese Embassy, Thairung and two youth representatives from Bhutan and Thailand took up the arduous eight days journey. The team travelled through Myanmar and India following the Myanmar-Thailand-India trilateral highway before entering Bhutan through Phuentsholing yesterday.

“We are so pleased and happy that we accomplished what we believe that is an incredible and such an ambitious journey to cross four countries that no one ever dreamt of or thought of to be able to do this by land. So for us the Thai team we felt the same way, the sense of achievement will certainly be in our memory. It was such a historical journey indeed,” said Kaewjai Phaoenchoke, the CEO for Thairung Public Company.

“We can say that more than ten mountain, more than a hundred river that we passed by was worthwhile because finally, we come back here in Bhutan with the very extraordinary like a dream come true. It is not just the scenery of this beautiful country but it’s also the hospitality of the Bhutanese people that welcomed us,” added Narin Tijayang, the Director for Secretariat and International Relations Division, Tourism Authority of Thailand.

“We started our journey as a stranger but I would say that we are now a family, a team and it was an extraordinary journey. I would like to extend my heartfelt gratitude to the Royal Embassy based in Thailand and to all the event sponsors for making it come true. I am really honoured and privileged to have received this opportunity and I shall cherish all those memories forever in my heart,” Chimi Yuden, the President of Bhutanese Student Association, Thailand, said.

The event is expected to further strengthen relations on all levels between the two countries. The Bhutan-Thailand drive is the first event to kick start the year-long celebrations for 30 years of diplomatic relationship. The team will leave the country on 2nd July by flight.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube