Dropping of oranges before it is picked

People of Kharza_Leyphu chiwog of Yangnyer Gewog in Trashigang are worried with the dropping of oranges when it is about to ripe.

With the problem affecting the yield, people are not able to fetch good income. Oranges are also one of the cash crops for the people in the chiwog.

Villagers are worried with this year’s income generation from oranges. Fruits are already formed but people say once they are about to mature the fruits get dropped whereby people earn less. Some own over 200 trees, which they can earn over thousands of ngultrum. People say it has been a few years since fruit dropping started.

“The trees are bearing fruits, but it starts dropping after 2-3 months. We don’t know what is affecting it,” said Ngawang Pelden from Yangnyer Gewog.

“Before we used to earn good income from selling oranges. After the disease started affecting the trees, we are also getting discouraged to work,” Leki Dorji, from the same village, said.

“People have been asking me about what to plant if the citrus trees are affected like this. I enquired the agricultural officials and they said planting avocado in place of the dead oranges trees would be okay. Still, then I went around the village and have submitted an application,” Wangchuk, the Chiwog Tshogpa, added.

Agricultural officials say they are creating awareness on the management of citrus plants such as pruning and adding manure. Officials also added that they are looking for alternatives such as providing other seedlings to replace citrus.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube