Mega dairy production unit opens in Tsirang

A mega dairy production unit was opened in Tsirang recently under the Priority Sector Lending (PSL) scheme. The unit, which started with yogurt production, plans to minimise the import of dairy products and focus on achieving self-sufficiency.

Namgyal, 36, established the unit with high tech machines imported from India. The retired civil servant availed himself of Nu 5.3 M loan through the PSL scheme. The production unit is the highest loaned project in Tsirang under the scheme.

“I will start with the production of yogurt, butter and cheese. And in the next one year, I am planning to produce 10 to 15 different dairy products such as ice cream, candies and cottage cheese among others,” Namgyal,  the owner of Tsirang Natural Yogurt, said.

Namgyal chose to set up the plant in Gosarling Gewog because of the convenience in getting milk from the farmers.

“With the consent from the dzongkhag, I met with villagers of nine gewogs. Some 12 to 13 dairy cooperatives agreed to supply milk for my unit. It’s a win-win situation. They will have a consistent demand for their produce while I can have an undisrupted supply,” he said.

The dzongkhag administration and financial institutes of Tsirang approved some 18 projects so far. They had received 115 proposals under the PSL scheme.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube