Daycare centre free of cost in Lingmithang

It is free of cost. A new daycare centre was opened in Lingmithang, Monggar yesterday. Unlike the day care centres in the urban areas, the centre in Monggar is targeted towards low income families. Fifty five children aged between two to five years have applied but the centre could take in only 46 children as the rest were too young.

Established by Loden Foundation, a Civil Society Organisation, Loden Early Learning Centre is aimed at helping working mothers to earn some income and help their families.

The centre is the third of its kind to be set up by the Foundation. The Co-ordinator of the Foundation said the centre was started to help families with low income. In the remote areas those children who cannot be in the schools in the age group of 3 to 5 do not have anywhere. So to help out such families with low income the centre has been set up to give the children equal opportunities like the children in the town.”

Sonam Wangmo is a housewife and has four children. With her youngest child enrolled with the centre, she hopes to weave and help her husband by earning some extra income for the family. “Now with all my children in the school I can work. My husband’s pay is not enough.”

Like Sonam Wangmo, Sithar Chozom is also happy. She works as a saw dust separator at the Mountain Hazelnut Venture Limited in Limithang. Till now she had to leave her 4-year old son home alone or ask her neighbours to look after him when she had to go to work.

“I was always worried about him whenever I go to work but what could I do. I leave by 8 am and return by 5 pm, so it was difficult. I am glad that such a centre has been established and I can go to work in peace knowing he will be fine,” she said.

Most of the mothers of the children enrolled at the centre work for the Department of Roads and the Mountain Hazelnut Venture Limited. Few others are housewives and weave for a living.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube