Jigme Singye Wangchuck School of Law wins first-ever national debate on climate change

The Jigme Singye Wangchuck School of Law won the first-ever national debate on climate change, yesterday. The inter-college debate held at the Jigme Singye Wangchuck School of Law in Paro saw 12 colleges from across the country participate. The debate aims to raise awareness about climate change and its impacts in the country, and inspire action to address climate change among others.

Organised in a public forum debate format, a team consisting of two speakers and a researcher represented each college.

The debate centred on the theme ‘resolved, carbon neutrality pledge impedes Bhutan’s economic development’.

“We believe that fostering open dialogue and critical thinking, especially among our future leaders, is key to developing effective solutions. And that is why we are incredibly proud to have conducted and organised this first-ever national debate competition and climate change coinciding with His Majesty’s birth anniversary,” said Leki Tshering, a faculty at Jigme Singye Wangchuck School of Law.

“Climate change is a global issue and the solution begins with voices like this, where all the youths from different colleges are competing, spreading messages and all,” said Yonten Dorji (PhD), a faculty at the College of Natural Resources

Sherubtse College and the Jigme Singye Wangchuck School of Law competed in the final after the two-day event.

Winning teams were awarded cash prizes, and certificates were given to all the participants.

“I feel that the topic we debated with all the opponents was a very good opportunity to learn more about this topic and to advocate and inform the people on it about the dangers or issues that climate change poses in our country and also around the world,” said Ngawang Yeshi Tenzin, the Winner from JSW School of Law.

“I am a media student and I do not get to talk about carbon neutrality as per my syllabus, but then while I took part in this competition, I learned a lot. It was a very eye-opening journey for me,” said Sonam Yangchen studying at Sherubtse College who came second.

The debate was jointly organised by the Jigme Singye Wangchuck School of Law and the College of Natural Resources with support from the Asia Foundation.

Namgay Wangchuk, Paro

Edited by Sherub Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube