Tangsibi under Ura will soon have a clean and reliable drinking water, Bumthang

Soon, access to clean and reliable drinking water will no longer be an issue for the residents of Tangsibi in Ura Gewog of Bumthang. The De-Suung National Service Water Project was launched in the community recently. For years, some villagers have depended on small ponds for drinking water.

It is a regular routine for 80-year-old Jambay to visit his water source, a small pond located about half a kilometre above his home. He cleans the pond regularly as it is filled with insects and leaves. Without other alternatives, he has to ensure that whatever water the pond provides is clean enough for his family to drink.

“I build my house about a decade ago, and to date, I have been drinking water from a pond. There was another source below the road, but it dried up two years after my house was constructed. Today, the pond is all I have. It is very precious to me. I have to quarrel with my fellow villagers often when they and their children disrupt the source and disconnect the pipes. During spring, there’s very little water in the pond. I am worried that it might dry up anytime,” said Jambay.

Like Jambay, four other families are depending on such ponds for drinking water. Meanwhile, two newly constructed houses in the village do not have water connections at all.

But it won’t be long before the community gets a clean and reliable water supply.

The De-Suung Water Project will connect Tangsibi with the stream in Garthak, about six kilometres from the village.

45 DeSuups will construct a reservoir, three tanks and several water taps.

“During monsoon, the water from the current source is filled with sand and pebbles. So, the pipes get blocked often. Sometimes, we can’t cook or do laundry as we like. Moreover, a lot of people here suffer from joint pain. I think this is because of the contaminated water. So, having a reservoir would solve all these problems,” said Jampel Singye, a resident.

“I am so happy about the water project. We will have a water connection right until our doorstep without working or spending a single penny. It would have been difficult for us to build a new source ourselves even after managing the budget. The Kidu from His Majesty The King will change our lives for good,” said Jambay.

“Today, we have to store water in jerry cans for about two days and let the dirt settle before it becomes drinkable. The De-Suung Water Project will surely benefit us. The new water source is clean and doesn’t become muddy, unlike the old one,” said Ugyen Tenzin, the Tangsibi Tshogpa.

The project is expected to be complete by the end of October. It will also address the irrigation water shortage in the village, with a population of around 360 people.

https://www.facebook.com/bbsnews/videos/532186964897919

Kipchu, Bumthang

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube