Govt. hopes wealthy house owners will waive off rent for affected tenants

According to the Prime Minister, the government does not have the authority to waive off house rent of those affected people in the wake of COVID-19 issues. This is considering the loans house owners have to pay.

However, Lyonchhen said, if wealthy house owners can come forward with such initiative to waive off rent when the country is in need, the government would be very grateful.

“I cannot direct them to waive off house rent, because they also have to pay loans. The owners also have their concerns like if tenants do not pay their rent on time, how do I pay my loan and banks might take my house. So there are different concerns. Similarly, the government did not help the owners while constructing their house so it is uneasy for the government to ask for their help when we are in need. If owners can do this, it’s a noble act. Therefore, I can only hope for the owners to do so,” said Dr Lotay Tshering, the Prime Minister.

Lyonchhen also added that an owner of a 3-star hotel came forward to donate supporting the government’s effort in preventing the spread of COVID-19. The owner also committed to looking after his some 40 employees even if it takes to sell his land.

Lyonchhen said he would be the happiest if house owners also come forward to waive off the rental charges, but there is no way that the government can intervene to instruct the owners and make it compulsory.

Kinley Dem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube