More than 200 golfers participate in India House Golf Tournament

The India House Golf Tournament saw a record number of more than 200 golfers participating in this year’s tournament. The prize distribution for the winners of the various categories was held yesterday.

The annual tournament is conducted to celebrate two important occasions. The junior tournament commemorates the coronation of His Majesty The King while the senior category celebrates the birth anniversary of His Majesty The Fourth Druk Gyalpo.

Taking home Nu 200,000, Bisu Rai, an employee of the Indian Embassy won this year’s India House Golf Tournament. Similarly, other winners received attractive prizes. The tournament not only encourages golfers but also strengthens Bhutan-India friendship.

“In a larger context, this event is not just about playing golf but it is basically an outreach initiative by us to bring together the civil societies and the youth of Bhutan and India together through the medium of sports. And that is what we are really celebrating today; the friendship, the goodwill, the bonds of closeness between the civil societies, the youth because the golfers who come and play in this tournament represent the entire spectrum of the society,” said Raghav Bhatnagar, the Secretary for India House Golf Club.

The competition also saw three generations of golfers; the youngest being seven and the oldest being 79 years old. And from this year, to support and encourage the junior tournament for the school going golfers, His Majesty The King instituted special prizes for the winners of the junior category. The two winners were awarded a complete golf clubs set each.

“I chose to play golf because it’s an easy sport plus I had been earning a little amount from working as a caddie in the golf course for many years. And the people there have encouraged me to play and it’s been six years now that I have been playing golf. I have also won many prizes within a span of six years. And this year was extra special as I got a special gift from His Majesty The King,” said Drugyel Rinchen, the Junior Net Winner who is a class 10 student of Zilukha Middle Secondary School.

“It’s been four years now that I have been playing this game. And today I received a very special prize from His Majesty The King, so I feel more happy and encouraged. I want to encourage more young girls to play this game,” said Karma Wangmo, the Girls’ Junior Net Winner, a class 11 student of Dechencholling Higher Secondary School.

This year’s tournament also marked the silver jubilee of the India House Golf tournament, which was started in 1995.

Sonam Pem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube