Monthly Archives: December, 0

PHPA-I to prioritise employing more Bhutanese workers to solve its worker shortage

With many Indian workers at the Punatshangchhu-I Hydroelectric Project Authority (PHPA-I) leaving for home in India, the project will prioritise employing more Bhutanese workers to solve its worker shortage. Hundreds of workers have already left for home while many more are expected to depart in the coming days. 

Global wildlife populations have plummeted by 68 % in the last five decades

The recently released World Wildlife Fund's Living Planet Report 2020 reveals that since 1970, the Earth's wildlife populations have plummeted by 68 per cent in size, in just five decades. Causes include environmental destruction such as deforestation, unsustainable agriculture, and the illegal wildlife trade which contribute to virus outbreaks like COVID-19. The report calls for urgent action to reverse the trend by 2030 by ending the destruction of natural habitats and reforming the food system.

Reviving the Rodongla trek, promoting regional tourism

To promote regional tourism in the Dzongkhag, Lhuentse District Administration revived an old trekking route - Rodongla trek. The 33-kilometre stretch will connect Maedtsho Gewog of Lhuentse with Tang Gewog of Bumthang.

Chencho Dorji becomes the first Bhutanese coach to manage an I-League Club

Chencho Dorji from Monggar who served as a national coach for 12 years with the Bhutan Football Federation will become the first Bhutanese coach to manage an I-League Club as he was announced as the new Head Coach of Sudeva FC on Saturday. The 38-year-old is also the first Bhutanese coach to be hired by an international football academy in March last year. 

A special relief flight brings home 132 women from Iraq

Upon the Command of His Majesty The King, a special relief Drukair flight to Dubai brought home 132 women evacuated from Iraq today. These women are the victims of trafficking. A Joint Task Force was set up to coordinate efforts to safely return all these Bhutanese home.

DPT declares its candidate for Chhoekhor_Tang constituency for the bye-election

Druk Phuensum Tshogpa declared its candidate for Chhoekhor_Tang constituency in Bumthang for the bye-election. The constituency was vacant after the former opposition leader and member of parliament of Chhoekhor_Tang constituency resigned.

UNDP and BCMD to launch a Conversation Series, ‘Reimagining Bhutan: Building Forward Better Beyond COVID’

Like other countries, as Bhutan seeks to stride better during and beyond the COVID-19 crisis, UNDP Bhutan together with Bhutan Centre for Media and Democracy (BCMD) will launch a Conversation Series on 'Reimagining Bhutan: Building Forward Better Beyond COVID'.

A ‘flying’ car crashes into a house injuring a man, Phuentshogling

An out-of-control car 'flew' into a house and injured a 53-year-old man who was inside his home at Kabreytar in Phuentshogling this morning.

FCB depot in Damchhu flooded with cabbage

After repeated requests from farmers, the Food Corporation of Bhutan (FCB) depot in Damchhu transhipped eight pickup truck loads or some 25 tonnes of cabbage to Phuentshogling on Saturday. With too much stock at the depot, on Thursday, local leaders in Paro were asked to inform farmers to stop bringing in cabbage. But that seems to have not reached the farmers.

Revive the cotton production affected by the pandemic

Like many others, Farmer’s Cotton Group in Bangyuel under Dungmaed Gewog in Pema Gatshel has also been impacted due to the global pandemic this year. The group set up to revive the cotton production in the district is struggling to boost their production today with only minimal of them allowed to work in their fields.
- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Read

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube