Armed forces tattoo policy crushing some youth’s dream

Armed forces tattoo policy crushing some youth’s dreamSome youth, passionate about joining armed forces, are unhappy after being rejected because of their tattoos.  Armed forces’ guidelines for recruitment say an individual is not allowed to join armed forces if they have tattoos.

Tshering Tobgay, 24, had dreamt of joining police force since he was in sixth grade. He completed his bachelor’s degree last year but was dissuaded from applying after his friend was rejected because of a tattoo on his left arm.

Tshering Tobgay, along with his friends, had also gotten a tattoo on his left arm when he was in seventh grade.

After his graduation he managed to remove some of it, which scarred his arm.

He continues to dream of joining the police force.

“Cadet Officer Selection is round the corner and I am worried that my tattoo would come in the way of my dream.”

He said he did not get a tattoo because he was a drug addict or an alcoholic.

“I knew nothing about drugs or alcohol. Having tattoos on our body was fashionable in our school at that time. Anybody can have tattoo. It has nothing to do with drugs or alcohol.”

Police said they cannot recruit people with tattoos on exposed body parts because of social stigma attached to it. They said they need to maintain standard and appearances and avoid being judged.

On the other hand, Tshering is looking for someone to help him remove the tattoo completely even as he prepares to appear the Civil Service Examination so that he goes on to become a police officer.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube