Amochhu flooding damages properties

Amochhu flooding damages properties-Amochhu River in Phuentshogling broke its bank and washed away seven makeshift huts and damaged road, machinery, and properties, today. A boy was also rescued, using an excavator, after he was stranded in the middle of the flood.

Continuous rainfall in the past few days had fed Amochhu, causing it to swell and flood.

“My brother in Dorokha called me at about 2:30 in the morning, after which I called my wife. She then woke everyone up and could manage to save themselves and a few belongings,” said Lobzang, one of the affected.

A shopkeeper, Anita said she owned a small shop by the bank and when she reached the scene at 7:30 AM, she found out she had lost everything to the flood.

The affected said they could have been able to salvage their belongings, if timely help had come their way.

“We did not know what to do. We took few of our belongings and left for higher and safer ground. We had left half of our belongings at the workshop. Half of it was washed away by the river and the other half were damaged when the house collapsed,” said another affected, Tshering Dema.

An occupant of the hut, that was washed away, Samten Pem said she was alone when water started flooding her home. “I couldn’t take out much. I only took out my gas cylinders. Everything else was washed away.”

A resident of Pheuntshogling, Phub Dorji said it is important for army or Desuups to help because some people lost everything.

One excavator was completely submerged by the river. Two other machines were also claimed by the river.Amochhu flooding damages properties--

By early afternoon, the water level had receded averting danger of more flooding. The weather had also improved. More rainfall could have made the situation grim.

Our Bureau Correspondent in Phuentshogling, Tenzin Rabgye says the occupants of the huts did not receive any help from the authorities as they were occupying the government’s land.

Although, the danger has averted as of now, there could be more flooding if it rains in the coming days.

Locals living nearby Amochhu feel the authorities need to do something on the safety.

An official from Phuentshogling Thromde said there is nothing they can do for now. He said there are safety plans but it is only on paper.

Top Stories

Related Stories

3 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube