Successful trial prompts oyster mushroom farm expansion in Pema Gatshel

The cultivation of oyster mushroom is gaining momentum in Pema Gatshel. Two farmers in Shumar Gewog embarked on a successful trial of oyster mushroom cultivation this year, prompting them to plan for farm expansion. Currently, there are three farmers and a group engaged in oyster mushroom cultivation in the district.

Lhundrup Dorji from Gonpung village in Shumar Gewog initiated the trial cultivation of oyster mushroom in April this year.

Despite the limited space on the ground floor of his house, he managed to cultivate around 80 mushroom blocks.

In more than a month, he sold 20 kilograms of mushrooms, earning Nu 250 per kilogram.

“I am interested in cultivating mushroom. So, I have attended a training which was provided by the gewog office. After that, I got 30 bottles of mushroom spawn and I have started this cultivation.”

Like him, Phuntsho Wangdi from Nangkor village also owns a mushroom farm.

“If we look at our neighbouring country, they produce enough mushroom. This is because they worked hard. So, I thought that we can also produce them here. That’s why I started growing oyster mushroom.”

Until now, the farmers did not face any marketing challenges as they were able to sell the mushrooms in their villages.

Encouraged by the success of their pilot projects, both Lhundrup Dorji and Phuntsho Wangdi aspire to expand their businesses.

“I have already planted avocado saplings in my field. After its plantation, we can cultivate other crops for only two to three years. After that, we cannot do any farming work in the orchard.  So, I have excavated this land to start mushroom cultivation. I am thinking of expanding the farm,” said Phuntsho Wangdi.

“Currently, it is located inside the house. I plan to expand the farm by seeking support from the gewog office and the agriculture sector,” said Lhundup Dorji.

According to the Gewog administration, they will support the farmers and prioritise the work in the next Five-Year-Plan.

“After a few months, when we get the new budget we will prioritise food security,” said Sonam Dhendup, Shumar Gup.

“Currently, we do not have the budget. We would like to allocate the budget in the 13th FYP and encourage the farmers in such farming,” said Chogyal, Gonpung-Shali Tshogpa,

With the support of the gewog and district administration, the farmers not only anticipate earning income but also contribute to achieving food self-sufficiency.

Thinley Dorji, Pema Gatshel

Edited by Tshering Zam 

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube