Golden Youth Award camp held after two years

After a gap of two years amid COVID-19 restrictions, 40 students from schools across the country came together in the capital for one of the most celebrated events of the youth. The Golden Youth Award, this time, was held for two years, for this year and the year before when the event could not be held due to the COVID situation. Instituted in 2008, the Golden Youth Award is a platform to inspire and motivate youth to excel holistically.

This time, only 20 participants from two cohorts of 2021 and 2022 got the chance to attend the camp in the capital. The participants are all class 10 students from 20 districts.

Ngawang Pelden Jamtsho (Golden Youth Award for 2022)

Ngawang Pelden Jamtsho from Motithang Higher Secondary School won the Golden Youth Award for 2022.

“I had a wonderful journey. I met new friends from all over the country. I got to understand their cultural backgrounds. I got to see their different talents and then also got to interact with them and share ideas. We did so many fun activities such as innovation challenges, design thinking, and physical activities,” said Ngawang.

Sangay Yeshi (Golden Youth for 2021)

Meanwhile, Sangay Yeshi from Gongzim Ugyen Dorji Central School in Haa was awarded the Golden Youth for 2021 becoming the first ever student from the school to receive the award.

“It’s not just about being happy about winning the title. It’s more than that; I feel I have an extra responsibility to fulfil now. I have to show people why I won the title. After completing my education, I am going to serve my King and my country in the best possible way,” said Sangay.

The participants were assessed based on academic competencies, extra co-curricular activities, innovation, talent, and communication skills.

“Usually we have the Golden Youth Award camp for a week. We have shortened the number of days of the camp since we already had the virtual competition done at the national level, where the national organising committee was involved,” said Roma Pradhan, Senior Programme Coordinator with the Youth Development Fund.

The winners will receive scholarships to study abroad. Golden Youth Award is one of the flagship programmes of the Bhutan Youth Development Fund. And it is the only award for the youth that excel in the country.

Kelzang Choden

Edited by Phub Gyem

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube