Broom at work – sweeper earns hefty income

A lot of Bhutanese go abroad to work. And this has become a grave concern today. But if you have passion and perseverance, the country also offers plenty of work, especially blue-collar jobs. 65-year-old Megnath Sanyasi from Jomotshangkha in Samdrup Jongkhar is a living proof of this. Simply by cleaning buildings in Thimphu, he is making a decent living.   

The day begins at six in the morning with a cup of tea in a hotel for Megnath Sanyasi. Quickly finishing off two buildings in the heart of the town, he goes to clean the Multi-level car parking at Lungtenzampa. In a month, he sweeps nine buildings in the town and earns Nu 25,000.

“I have to send money to my children every month,” he said.

The former employee of Thimphu Thromde had good savings until his wife passed away recently. He spent much of his savings on funeral rites.

Although most people look down on such a job, for Megnath, it is a source of empowerment and independence.

Despite his children wanting him to stay home, he said that he doesn’t want to be idle. “As long as I am able, I don’t want to burden them. I have heard and seen parents hesitate to ask for money from their children and I don’t want to put myself in such a situation.”

According to Megnath, so far, he hasn’t experienced any discrimination in society for what he does. Instead, he said that people have been kind and supportive. And he is determined to continue the job until he is old and feeble.

Megnath is back to saving whatever remains after spending his monthly expenses. He intends to save at least Nu 5,000 monthly.

Meanwhile, as per the 2020 Labour Force Survey, the unemployment rate in the country has increased from nearly 2.7 per cent in 2019 to 5 per cent last year.

Karma Wangdi

Edited by Chayku

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube