Incumbent SJ Thrompon to not contest in the upcoming election

As the tenure of the current Thrompon of Samdrup Jongkhar Thromde completes at the end of this month, the constituents will get to choose a new representative. This is because the incumbent thrompon has decided not to contest in the upcoming election.

After serving for two consecutive tenures, 51-year-old incumbent thrompon Karma Sherab Thobgyal will resign from the local government for good.

According to the thrompon, if he contests again even after serving for 10 years, he said he is not giving a fair opportunity to other capable and potential candidates.

“In the last 10 years, I have achieved most of the pledges such as keeping the town clean, constructing roads and bridges,” the Thrompon said.

He added that the water treatment plant is his biggest achievement.

“I have given a top priority to drinking water. The plan to construct the water treatment plant began in 2011, but we could start the work only in 2016 and completed it last year. It is the biggest project during my tenure and is worth Nu 100 M,” he added.

However, speculations are high in the town that he will be contesting in the upcoming parliamentary election. But the Thrompon said he doesn’t have any plan as of now.

The Samdrup Jongkhar Thromde election could not be conducted together with three other Thromdes – Thimphu, Phuntsholing, and Gelephu – in 2011 due to a lack of candidates from some constituencies.

Samdrup Jongkhar thromde has six constituencies with more than 800 registered voters.

Kinley Wangchuk, Samdrup Jongkhar

Edited by Chayku

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube