Parents and students in Phuentshogling welcome the govt’s decision to cancel relocation of students

With the Education Ministry deciding not to redistribute the students to low-risk districts, parents and students in Phuentshogling are finally relieved. Earlier, they were worried about the relocation of Classes VII and above students in line with the recommendation from the National Task Force as Phuentshogling is considered a high-risk area for COVID-19.

Parents are happy and thankful to the government for deciding not to relocate their children.

“We are very thankful to the government for keeping our school-going children here only. It will also ease the financial burden on us. Moreover, the students also do not have to stay in quarantine. We feel that even Phuentshogling is safe. Everyone here tested negative for COVID-19,” said a parent, Kinley Gyem.

“My child is suffering from migraine since childhood days. The disease often attacks her while exposing to the sun. So, it is quite severe and she is frequently under treatment. It worries me and I thought of dropping her out for this academic session. The news about retaining them here delighted us,” said Pema Zangmo, another parent.

Some parents have already planned to shift to Thimphu while some decided to drop their children for this academic session.

While some students were excited to experience boarding facilities, many wanted to stay back with their parents.

“Actually, Classes VII and above are supposed to be sent in boarding schools in other places. Yesterday, we were told that it is now cancelled. Once we leave Phuentshogling, then we may not be able to meet our parents for a long time. We may meet new friends, but we are happy that we will get to spend time with our parents here,” said a student, Pema Choden.

The schools will adhere to strict COVID-19 safety protocols. The Phuentshogling Thromde Education Sector is also in the process of framing the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) in case of local transmission of the virus.

There are over 2,400 students studying in Class VII and above and nearly 100 teachers under Phuentshogling Thromde.

Sonam Penjor, Phuentshogling

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube