Thimphu City FC crowned new champions of Bhutan Premier League 2020

Thimphu City Football Club lifted the Bhutan Premier League 2020 trophy as they have been officially crowned the champions of the league yesterday in Punakha. However, their unbeaten streak came to an end as they were beaten 3-2 by Ugyen Academy in the final match of the league. Eight teams from Thimphu, Paro, Punakha and Wangdue Phodrang took part in the competition this time.

Despite claiming the Bhutan Premier League 2020 title a week ago, Thimphu City FC still had to face Ugyen Academy FC in their last match of the league campaign in Punakha. For Thimphu City FC, their top priority was not to lose the game and maintain their 100% unbeaten record.

However, they were put to test early, as Ugyen Academy FC scored in the first 15 minutes. Still, Thimphu City FC managed to equalize before the end of the first half. The second half again saw the host team leading with the third goal of the game in the 54th minute. Bringing in a few fresh legs, Thimphu City FC was again successful in equalizing the scoreline. However, Ugyen Academy FC scored the winning goal of the game in the dying minutes ending Thimphu City FC’s unbeaten record.

Despite the result, Thimphu City FC was crowned the champions of the league finishing the season with 37 points from a total of 42 points for grasp in 14 matches.

“I would like to thank the management and all my players for believing in me. They have always been very patient and listened to me every time. Whether it is 6 AM in the morning or late night training, every one of them has cooperated very well. This is why I believe we are the Champions this year and I am very proud of everyone,” said Ngawang Dhendup, the Head Coach of Thimphu City FC.

Meanwhile, Ugyen Academy FC and Paro FC came in 2nd and 3rd position respectively. Being the champion of Bhutan Premier League, Thimphu City FC will now represent Bhutan in the upcoming AFC Cup to be played next year.

Passang Dorji

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube