Prime Minister urges the people to be wary of the second wave of COVID-19

With the onset of the winter season, many countries are experiencing the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. And in the country, as people brace for the cold season, they are advised to stick to strict health protocols. According to the Prime Minister, being complacent would cost the country in ways worse than now.

Although the full anatomy of the virus is still unknown, health workers believe that it is similar to flu in nature. Both the diseases are caused by viruses that survive in cold temperatures. Over the next couple of months, cases of the Coronavirus are expected to surge rapidly owing to the cold weather condition.

“This spike is happening especially in winter. A lot of people are spending more time inside the house than outside. So when you spend more time, you have more contact time. And because of that if somebody is having symptoms, then that’s how you start spreading the infection. If people follow all the measures especially wearing masks and keeping distance as far as possible, I think we can still prevent the outbreak of the disease,” said Sonam Wangchuk, the Head of the Royal Centre for Disease Control.

“According to experts, over 3 M people will be infected with the Coronavirus in the next 4 months, that is in winter. Which means that the infection rate will shoot up to two times more than the last couple of months,” said Dr Lotay Tshering, the Prime Minister.

In his address to the nation on Sunday through BBS, Lyonchhen asked people to continue observing the COVID-19 health safety protocols.

“Based on the research done by experts, the increase in cases was due to the complacency of the people. That is not following the COVID-19 protocols despite knowing them. That is why from here on until the vaccine is made, I urge everyone to wash hands frequently and use face masks as much as possible,” Lyonchhen added.

Most of the people in Thimphu are seen following the COVID-19 preventive measures in places where hundreds of people visit every day.

“I am always using facemask whether I sell vegetables or go outside. For now, customers are also coming in with facemasks and proper safety. So we don’t have much issue here. It is similar to the flu. So the best way to prevent it is covering our mouth with face mask, washing hands frequently which we are doing,” said Tshewang Tobgay, a vegetable vendor at the CFM.

“We always use facemask and hand sanitizers whenever customers come in. I have seen many washing their hands as well. We tell customers to maintain distance when there is crowding,” added Devi Maya, also a vegetable vendor at the CFM.

“I wash my hands frequently and when I don’t, I use this sanitizer. And I always use facemask whatever I do. I never take it off. We are at a higher risk because we are old so I am trying my best. I always tell my customers who are coming in without facemasks to make use of one. It is not for anyone but ourselves,” said Choeki Wangmo, a shopkeeper in Thimphu.

“We have Druk Trace app in each bus. For the uneducated and students, we have a register. We have few DeSuups who help us enforce the safety measures. And we make it a point that passengers wear masks in the bus,” said Kelzang Tshomo, a supervisor with the City Bus.

With the viral disease showing no signs of slowing down and without a vaccine, adhering to proper health protocol is the most appropriate measure.

Tshering Dendup

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube