Jojo Kinley, the oldest archer in Phuentshogling

Archers in Phuentshogling are inspired and motivated by the presence of an 81-year-old archer, who is currently taking part in the Yangphel style tournament in the thromde.

81-year-old Kinley Tshering from Paro is the oldest player in the Yangphel style tournament from Phuentshogling. Fondly known as Jojo Kinley, he participates in every tournament in Phuentshogling. He started playing on a compound bow since 1975 and is one of the first compound bow archers in the country. Jojo Kinley’s presence in the field brings in renewed energy among the fellow archers. Even at this age, he is very active in the field.

“I love playing archery so much. It also helps me keep healthy. I come to practise every morning from 6 AM to 8 AM here.  I feel that the secret behind my healthy life is the archery,” said Kinley Tshering, living in Phuentshogling, Chhukha.

Everyone who plays archery there is inspired by him. They are in awe of Jojo Kinley’s energy at this age.

“When an elderly person like him plays at this age, I feel that the Phuentshogling sports association or the Bhutan Archery federation should recognize such an individual. It is really inspiring to see such people among us,” said Karma Tshering Dorji, from Phuentshogling, Chhukha.

“We feel so happy to see an 81-year-old playing among us. We feel privileged to play with him. For younger people like us, It is an inspiration,” added Kinzang Dorji, from the same thromde.

Jojo Kinley says, he can’t hit the target as he used to. But, he is determined to play a few more years.

“Due to the blessings of triple gem, parents and family, I could play archery till this age. I am very happy. I wish to play a few more years. I think I can play even at 85 or 86. I don’t know whether I can really play till that age or not, but deep inside I have the motivation to play till 85 or 86,” he added.

He has served in Ministry of Education for 23 years and another seventeen years in Food Corporation of Bhutan. He resigned in 1999 as a joint managing director of FCB. His wife Gaki Om is also Bhutan’s first nurse. Today, he stays with his wife in Phuentshogling.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube