BT and the question of data charges

With over four hundred thousand subscribers, Bhutan Telecom (BT) is trying to address public frustrations regarding the high charges on data recently. Subscribers are using social media platforms and mainstream media as well to vent their frustrations. They have started calling names and the mess is further muddied by the graphics and emojis available on social media platforms.

In the ‘My Say’ section of Kuensel, Sherub Dorji who calls himself as ‘frustrated client’ of BT wants clarifications on the “sudden surge in data charges” and thinks that the new system of checking balance is a “confusion or trick to hide the surge in (data) charges.”

However, the Bhutan Telecom officials say that BT has not made any changes on the data tariff and said all charges are exactly the same as before.

“We are deeply concerned that general public seems to be thinking that we have raised the data tariff. BT is a government corporation and our mandate is to provide affordable and accessible ICT services, so please trust us. The tariff has remained exactly the same as before,” Penjore, the General Manager Marketing of BT, said.

“I feel that the reason why people seems to be thinking that the rate  may have  gone up is that with a  new  system in place, we have come up  with more notifications as compared to before.”

He added BT came up with the new system to constantly remind the customers on the data usage and want to effectively communicate with them as well.

“So with many notifications coming in, we feel that perhaps  that may be the reason  why people are feeling that rates might have gone up, which has not,”

However, he says for those who are not convinced regarding the data usage, individuals can come in person to BT for further clarification.

“I know there may be still some people who may not be fully convinced. To them, I would like to request to give their contact number, so that we can sit together and can show the complete detail of the data usage along with the platforms or apps they have visited. Every detail of the charges will be explained in a convincing way,” he said.

Meanwhile, the new method of balance checking seems to be not comfortable with many people. Subscribers say that the voice instructions on balance recharge and inquiry is user-friendly and can be done by the illiterate lots living in villages also. But with this new system, even the literate clients are confused.

However, BT says they will revert back to the previous system of balance check.

Top Stories

Related Stories

3 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube