Buli Tsho sees increasing number of visitors

In recent years, an increasing number of people including tourists have been visiting the Buli Manmo Tsho in Zhemgang. People come to worship at the lake as it is believed to bring good fortune and prosperity.

The visitors of all ages visit the lake almost on a daily basis. It takes about 15 minutes on foot to reach the sacred site from the road.

Buli Manmo Tsho is the resident of Buli’s guardian deity, believed to be half woman and lower half snake. Often times, visitors are greeted with the sight of ducks swimming around and cleaning the leaves that fall on the lake.

“This is my first time here. Fortunately, the lake is clear and I could receive blessings from the sacred sightings it is associated with,” Rinchen Choida from Panbang said.

“It’s a special feeling visiting the Buli Tsho. I hope to return next year to offer my prayers,” Sangay Bidha, from Sarpang, said.

The area of Buli Tsho is slightly larger than a football ground. Shrubs and dense broad-leafed trees cover its surroundings. The lake is known for its brightness and locals believe that if its colour turns dark and dull, it’s an inauspicious sign.

As is the tradition, Buli Manmo Tsho remains closed for visitors for about three months every year.

“We have been practising this for ages during harvest season from September to November. It is mainly to ensure a bountiful harvest, we do not disturb the lake as we believe that doing so would cause natural calamities in our community,” Dorji Wangchuk, the Nangkor Gup, said.

The Nangkor Gewog Administration has been charging a minimal fee for the visitors and the income is used to perform rituals at the lake and buy offerings to appease the local deity. The office has also developed footpaths, placed dustbins, and constructed fencing around the lake.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube