Need for social media literacy?

Social media has become part of our lives with a growing number of people using the medium in the country. However, experts say there is a lack of social media literacy which often leads to issues related to irresponsible and inappropriate use.

In a recent case, three women were arrested for battery. The video of the incident went viral on Facebook and Wechat. While the police are looking for the person behind the post, many raised brows questioning if it is ethically right for someone to make a personal matter public?

But this is not an isolated case. There is a history of defamation, circulation of fake news and other inappropriate usages of social media in Bhutan. In fact, technology, as always, has moved faster than the ability of people to understand its impact.

“I am also one of the active social media users like facebook. I write and share everything I like. But I am also not aware when it comes to dos and don’ts while using social media,”Sanga Chophel said.

“Social media has many positive impacts but people don’t use it properly. If they use it properly I think it is good and also I feel there is a need for certain regulations,” Ramesh Rai said.

“Since many are not aware of responsible use of social media, they share photos and videos without respecting others’ privacy,” Lam Phuntsho said

The Bhutan Centre for Media and Democracy (BCMD), a civil society organisation, provides training on News and Media Literacy to students, monks and nuns among others. According to its Executive Director, Bhutanese are not prepared to use social media properly.

“We find that many of us are very reactive to social media to the use of phones, the internet which basically just learn how to use it technically but we are not as conscious as the impact of the free and open use,” Siok Sian Dorji, the Executive Director of BCMD, said.

“We have seen bullying and inappropriate videos being shared openly and getting everybody into trouble and families they stress. So these are things that show that we need more and greater awareness of social media literacy.”

From a legal perspective, acts of defamation, breach of privacy and creating civil unrest through fake news are punishable under the Penal Code of Bhutan.

“Since it is the written or printed form it should be the purview of libel. Under the section of libel, a person who is convicted for libel shall be imprisoned for the minimum of three years to the maximum of five years and below with compensation,” Yeshey Wangdi, an advocate with Nyinda Legal Consultancy in Thimphu, said.

“In the process of libel, if there any matter of murder, armed robbery so the convicted person will be liable for fourth-degree felony. Whereas in absence of such murder etc the person who is convicted for libel should be imprisoned for a minimum of one month to a maximum of one year and below.”

Wechat, WhatsApp and Facebook are among the widely used social media sites in the country today.

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube