Tenzing Yonten, overall champion of inaugural Gyaltsuen’s Cup golf tournament

The finals of the inaugural Gyaltsuen’s Cup golf tournament were held in the capital yesterday. More than 130 golfers took part in the competition played at the Royal Thimphu Golf Course. The Bhutan Golf Federation organised the tournament in Thimphu to commemorate the 34th birthday of Her Majesty The Gyaltsuen.

138 golfers competed in five categories- amateur, Red Handicap, White Handicap, Blue Handicap and Black Handicap categories.

Tenzing Yonten is the overall champion of the Gyaltsuen’s Cup and the Net winner of the Blue Handicap category. He received a cash prize of Nu 120,000 along with a round-trip ticket to Bangkok.

And 33-year-old Tshendra Dorji is the Gyaltsuen’s Cup Gross Champion and also the Gross winner of the Black Handicap category. He received a cash prize of Nu 75,000 along with a round-trip ticket to Bangkok.

“I have been playing golf since 2000 when I was just eight years old. I studied at Zilukha and I used to always see the golf course. So, I started playing golf along with my friends when I was in school. I am glad that I got an opportunity to play. Losing is a part of the game but I am happy that I won. Golf, like any other sport, helps us stay healthy.”

Similarly, Rigsyl Dorji and Ziwang Gurung are the Gyaltsuen’s Cup Net runner-up and Gross runner-up respectively. Rigsyl Dorji is also the Net winner of Red Handicap and Ziwang Gurung, the Gross runner-up of the Black Handicap category.

Other winners and runners-up were also awarded cash prizes and certificates.

“In golf, especially in tournament situations, it is important to keep a cool head and to keep calm under pressure. Especially, going into the last few holes, you have to keep both your game and mind stable so that you can come through and win or make the last holes and catch up. I have been in a gold academy since I was 13 years old. I wanted to pursue a professional career but later on decided to stay an amateur and represent Bhutan in the years to come,” said Ugyen Dorji, Amateur Category’s Gross Champion.

“I have been playing golf for the last 15 years. My parents used to work at the Bhutan Golf Federation and as a child, I used to be a caddie for people who came there to play. So, I am happy that I am the runner-up in the Gyaltsuen’s Cup,” said Nim Dorji Tamang, Gross Runner-up of the Amateur category.

According to the Bhutan Golf Federation, the Gyaltsuen’s Cup is to pay tribute to Her Majesty The Gyaltsuen’s unwavering service to the country.

The four-day tournament will now onwards be held annually.

Karma Wangdi

Edited by Tshering Zam

Top Stories

Related Stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Comments

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube